When eating a vegetarian/vegan diet, food is the biggest part. Well, for any person, food plays an important role, obviously. We all have to eat to survive. But when it comes to fitting that into your already hectic schedule and trying to figure out what you can or want to eat, things can get pretty complicated. At the same time, it can also be as easy as you allow it to be.
Turn to tempeh; it’s affordable and almost as versatile as tofu. Besides, the varieties of it make it even easier to fit into a meal: organic smoky, organic flax, organic three grain, or organic non-GMO soy. I buy Lifelight brand but there are many available.
Whether you’ve had a barbecue pork sandwich in your life or not, there’s a simple, guilt-free version available at your fingertips! Here’s a super easy meal that’s great to throw in the oven at a long day of work or if you just want a simple yet filling meal.
BBQ Tempeh Sandwiches
Ingredients: Tempeh of your choice (I use Lifelight, organic soy), BBQ sauce without honey (I use Baby Ray’s Sweet N’ Spicy BBQ Sauce), chili powder, paprika, cumin, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, soy sauce (I use Trader Joe’s Soyaki), maple syrup, & olive oil.
1. Boil and bring the tempeh to a simmer in enough water to cover almost half the tempeh for a total of 10 minutes, 5 per side. This will make it easier to cut and cook faster.
2. When it’s done, place it on a cutting board and cut them into “nugget” like pieces.
3. Combine ½ cup of BBQ sauce, 1/3 cup maple syrup, 1/3 apple cider vinegar, 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup of olive oil, and about 1-2 tsp of the spices depending on your preference, in a bowl and whisk together.
4. Fold the tempeh into the sauce and allow it to sit for at least 15 minutes. Like tofu, the longer the tempeh marinates, the more flavor will be soaked into it.
5. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
6. Get out a metal dish or baking sheet and line it with foil.
7. When the tempeh is done marinating, lay it on the dish and put it in the oven for 50 minutes.
8. When it’s done, layer it in sub buns for a deliciously easy meal!
It can’t get easier than that! So the next time you crave a BBQ sandwich, don’t feel guilty, just make this easy tempeh sandwich and watch your cravings vanish!